in the Garden of Eden
Secret History of the Early Game
This image of the Polo Grounds (same structure as the one depicted in 1891) shows Coogan’s Bluff above home plate. Here some 40,000 fans watched the final league game of 1908. This structure burned to the ground, all except the outfield bleachers, on April 14–15, 1911. The concrete and steel Polo Grounds edifice that came in its place in 1912 was known at first as Brush Stadium.